Swirly Potatoes

I had an inspiration about a week ago to make these. I wasn't sure if they'd work, honestly. I had never tried this before. But, in the spirit of trying something exciting and new, I decided to give them a whirl... and ooh la la, they worked perfectly!!

Basically, what I was going for was a crispy, very finely textured potato snack that was simultaneously low in fat and high in fun. Success! And plus, this thang is super easy to whip together - the only downside is that you do need a spiralizer. I don't really know of any other tool that would do the trick. I have a Benriner spiralizer (I think it cost me around $40) and I love it - it's great for making carrot "hair" (shown to the left of the spring roll in the picture below of a recent lunch my daughter posted on her page), zucchini "pasta," and beautifully textured beets!



OK, so how does one make these "swirly potatoes," you may be wondering?? It's super easy... Ready?? Here goes...

1. Preheat your oven to 400 F. Spray a large baking sheet with oil and set aside.
2. Wash any number of potatoes well and spiralize them, using a good spiralizer such as the Benriner one I have. You'll have some bits or slices of taters that don't spiralize but DO NOT PANIC. You can use these little babies elsewhere - personally, I like to dice them up and bake them for lil' cubed crunchy taters. The dimensions of potato fun just never end!!
3. Squeeze the moisture out of the spiralized potatoes. I do this using paper towels. You want those stringy taters DRY.
4. Spread the spiralized potatoes out on the oiled pan and spray them again with some oil (I use a coconut oil spray or olive oil spray). Sprinkle lightly with some seasoned salt and garlic granules. Bake until nicely browned and crisp. You may need to turn the whole thing over mid-way. The whole process really depends on your oven and your pan. For me, it took about 10 minutes on each side.
5. Remove from the oven and serve with ketchup and/or hot sauce. Hope you find them as addictively fun and delicious as I do!!

This recipe is GF/SF/Green (according to the recipe and health guidelines in my books)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ingredients, looks very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great article.Really thank you! Want more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for health related website to review many issue. Now I've found your blog site with lots of amazing information. You did really excellent work. I'll read your blog regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post and you have describe some really delicious food. I like them and I also like your posted photo of food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I have learn and get some information about potatoes. thanks to share this post with us ...........

    ReplyDelete